Thursday, August 9, 2007

Spellbinding!


I'm currently engrossed reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's timeless classic "love in the time of cholera". Yes, I know what some of you are thinking... SHAME ON ME for reading the book this late in my life.

I know I should have read this last year when nanay sent it in one of her balikbayan boxes. But no, I didn't. I was too busy balancing work and school. But now, that I am having a break from my MA in Journ classes, I try to read more. GGM's classic is the fourth book I have gotten hold since June. I have yet to finish the three others, two of which I got on sale, a reflection of my erratic personality and short attention span.

So far, Im on page 24. And GGM has got me under his spell. The descriptions are vivid. The laws of reality are suspended, which makes reading the love triangle evolving in the book a great luxury.

Actually, it was a friend, Marc Reyes of Inquirer, who introduced GGM's work to me in one of our drinking sessions in Iloilo City, where we were covering the 2005 Palarong Pambansa. I've been eyeing the 100 years of solitude book at NBookstore but didn't push through with my plan buying it. Instead, I waited for my nanay to send GGM's works to me.

How GGM weaves his stories and links descriptions and takes you to a surreal world are stuffs writers should emulate. His book is a good reference for creative writing classes. Speaking of creative writing class, the book could have come in handy when I read it prior to my CW class under Rayvi Sunico. It would have conditioned my inept brain, squeezed out a little creative juice as I did assignments in class.

2 comments:

Hector Bryant L. Macale said...

Hi Cedelf,

Thank you for leaving a comment in my blog.

This is a nice blog you got here. I think I may be here from time to time, surfing around.

And thanks for adding me in your links.

Cheers,
Bryant

Cedelf P. Tupas said...

Bryant,

Thanks for leaving a comment too. I'll be checking you're blog from time to time also. You have been on my links for quite some time now. I'm particularly interested with media issues, especially after taking Chay HofileƱa's ethics class last year.

Cedelf