Thursday, July 12, 2007

On late deadlines.

I did not intend to write about the RP-Lebanon basketball game in the 4-nation Manila Invitationals because I had no idea if it will be aired by ABC5. But the network did and because I set another "late" deadline for my page, I wrote a game story, knowing that the broadsheets may not be able to include the game story because of their early deadline.

One advantage of working for a provincial newspaper, like the one that I work for, is that we have a very flexible deadline. And sometimes, I tend to abuse it. hehehe. Since my return from Manila late in May, my attention has been called a couple of times by our editor-in-chief on my deadlines.

But as much as I want to put my page to bed early, its just not possible, especially because I am a one-man army in the sports page and readers expect a page full of local stories. So my apologies to DAILY STAR readers. I can only do so much.

I dont want to justify my ocassional incompetence. Im just assuring those who follow the DAILY STAR that Im doing my best to make their sports page as good as possible. And when I say good, its not just the design or the layout, but also the fact that the stories are accurate, factual and objective.

The late deadline has actually given me the luxury of watching the Asian Cup and the Philippine Basketball Association as well as the RP Team's games recently. I call it a luxury because I am passionate about sports.

Writing about the games is just a bonus. *

1 comment:

cyberbaguioboy said...

ok lang yan pre. You know you're putting in your best! That is really what counts...