Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My return. My summer


Finally, I'm back blogging. I havent been able to blog the past four months because i was just too lazy. hopefully, ill be more disciplined and blog all the time.

i was in school from april 15-may 26 but still had time to work on some assignments for inquirer and the daily star. i deposited alot of information on my brain bank from the subjects that i took up as cognate courses as part of the MA in Journ at the Ateneo: media studies, public relations and english language teaching.

overall, the summer was great save for the mishap on the fateful night of may 19. i had lots of firsts. first time to be away from bacolod and stay in manila for around 45 days. first time to traverse manila, makati, mandaluyong, san juan and sometimes pasig to quezon city almost every night during my stay just to be with rachele. first time to attend an affair at the 27th floor of the diamond hotel (presentation of ACFJ fellows May 2). first time to enter the Ayala Museum (Konrad Adenauer event). first time to listen to historian Ambeth Ocampo (i laughed almost every other sentence he delivered. witty, informative and hilarious).

The laceration on my foot which needed 10 stitches has yet to completely heal but its getting there. I sustained the 3-inch wound on may 19 at the araneta center. I was on my way to my friend, carlo's place to watch the FA Cup final between Man United and Chelsea. Man U is my favorite English club. The night turned out to be a double whammy because ManU lost on Didier Drogba's goal in extra-time.

Anyway, I am insert my letter to the araneta center management in this blog.

May 20, 2007

The Manager
Araneta Center
Cubao, Quezon City


Dear Sir/Madam


Greetings!

I am Cedelf P. Tupas, 23, of Bacolod City. I am currently the sports editor of the Visayan Daily Star in Bacolod and a correspondent of the Philippine Daily Inquirer. I am currently based at the Ateneo De Manila University in Loyola Heights, Quezon City, where I am taking up my Master of Arts in Journalism under the Asian Center for Journalism Fellowship.

I am writing you to put on record the accident that happened to me inside the premises of the Araneta Center in Cubao, Quezon City at around 8:45 p.m. Saturday, May 19, 2007. The accident happened at the parking area beside Wendy’s Fastfood at Shopwise facing SM Cubao. I was headed to SM Cubao but when I walked through an alley in between two parked cars just beside Wendy’s, I stepped on a square-shaped material that was I think, made of tin and was similar to the size of a vinyl tile.

I was thinking that the material was intended to cover a small area of soil there but because of poor lighting, I could not conclude what was the purpose of putting the material. Thinking the material was stable enough, I planted my foot on it but the material popped. The result was a nasty three-inch laceration on my right foot. Blood profusely dripped and I had no time to report the incident to your office because I had to rush myself to World City Medical Center at Anonas, Quezon City for treatment.

I was wearing slippers at the time of the accident, reason why the cut was long and deep. But who could predict accidents like these? Even so, it could have been prevented by your office by (1) making sure that there was enough lighting for pedestrians to see if what they are stepping on (2) making sure that the material was stable enough (4) removing that sharp object in your parking lot (5) putting a sign that it was not advisable to pass by the parking area where I met my accident because of that sharp object. If you conduct an ocular inspection, I believe that you will still see traces of my blood in the area as well as in the stairway area of SM, where I hailed a taxi.

Aside from limiting my mobility and draining my resources, the injury has caused me a great deal of pain and anxiety because it came near the end of the summer school term, which is very crucial for me since the majority of the tasks being assigned form a huge a percentage of my grades.

The doctor said my right foot needs all the rest it needs but I am taking time to report this incident and seek relief from your office.

I will be going home to Bacolod on May 29 and would need to resume working immediately but the injury has sidelined me indefinitely.

Thank you very much for your attention and I hope you take appropriate action on my case.


Sincerely Yours,

Sgd
CEDELF P. TUPAS

No comments: